You love silk clothing, but feel like it is fragile and worry that your favorite new slip dress may not last for a long time. Then you finally purchase it, wear it a couple of times, and feel the need to take it to the dry cleaners. Sound familiar? These are two myths about silk that we are here to dispel.
When we think of silk, we imagine a luxurious, soft, and shiny fabric that is delicate and easy to ruin. In reality, silk is the strongest natural fiber and is more durable than it feels. Good tensile strength allows it to withstand great pulling pressure. We can assure you that with proper care, you will have a long-term relationship with your favorite silk pajamas.
Many people believe that the only way to wash silk is by dry cleaning, which is costly and adds another errand to your to-do list. Though silk requires proper care, it is easy to avoid the dry cleaners by hand washing it. Here is our step-by-step guide on how to effortlessly wash your silk pieces at home.
- Hand-wash your silk garment in lukewarm water with a gentle detergent. Place it in a small basin or sink and let it soak for a few minutes.
- Rinse in cold water. To keep the color bright, you can add 1/4 cup of white vinegar in the first rinse and then rinse thoroughly with water one more time.
- Never wring or twist your silk items. Use a white cotton towel to extract water from the garment.
- Lay the item flat in its natural shape to dry. Keep it away from the sun.
- Iron on the wrong side with cool iron while the item is still damp for the best results.
Following these cleaning tips will keep your beautiful piece shiny and soft and help you enjoy your favorite Felice Donna loungewear for a long time.